Palm OS 5.2 Dev Information Posted
PalmSource has made information about new features and updated included in Palm OS 5.2. Palm OS 5.2 has already been made available to licensees and they in turn may decide to make the update available on new devices or via an OS upgrade. Palm OS 5.2 includes a small set of new features and modifications, most notably a new handwriting recognition engine, Graffiti 2.
Alongside this release is a minor update to the 68K OS, Palm OS 4.1.2. Palm OS 4.1.2 is Palm OS 4.1 with the addition of the Graffiti 2 handwriting recognition engine. Neither Palm OS 5.2 nor 4.1.2 development require a new SDK. For testing purposes, a new version of the Palm OS 5 Simulator with Palm OS 5.2 is available on the Simulator web page, and new Palm OS 4.1.2 ROM images for the Palm OS Emulator are available from the PalmSource developer program.
The biggest addition to Palm OS 5.2 is the new Graffiti 2 handwriting recognition engine. Graffiti 2 is a new character recognition engine that replaces the Graffiti engine that had been used in the past. PalmSource liscenened and enhanced Jot from CIC. Graffiti 2 was added to make learning data input on the palm os easier for new and inexperienced users, PalmSource feels it allows for a more natural and intuitive method of data input. There are some things developers should be aware of about Graffiti 2 and PalmSource has posted a Graffiti 2 Compatibility Tips FAQ.
Virtual Graffiti, or Collapsible Input Area API
With OS 5.2 PalmSource has committed to building a unified API for a collapsible Input area, commonly referred to as "virtual graffiti." This feature is still in development and has not been added into the OS. Another feature added is an internal flag to check for built in mobile phones, useful for detecting smartphone and/or wireless capabilities.
Some of the more technical bugs fixed include (More Here):
- Formatting some 128MB and larger SD cards may freeze the device
- Memory leak occurs if sound played asynchronously does not terminate before exit of application
- Algorithm which computes the interval between two repeat events is incorrect
- Values returned by SysBatteryInfo() function are wrong
- Transparent color cannot be set on version 2 bitmaps with16 bit color by calling BmpSetTransparentValue() and BmpGetTransparentValue() from 68K application
- Noise is heard (for Unsampled Data) if a blank sound is inserted on one channel while the opposite channel has sound.
- Crash in low-memory situations in the square-wave emulator
Article Comments(69 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...