webOS Overclocking Tools Released
A group of webOS hackers has publicly released tools and details for overclocking webOS devices. The group has released a set of specially modified webOS 1.4 kernels (GSM and CDMA versions) with clock speeds of 720 MHz and 800 MHz, a significant bump from the factory set 600 MHz. For now, the files are specifically designed for use with the Palm Pre and come with detailed installation instructions.
A video demo of the new overclock patches in action is posted after the break. The video shows a dramatically faster webOS experience on the current Pre hardware with little noticeable side effects. While the group has done some limited testing on the overall effects of the mod, and they claim the initial data "shows good safety", there are still a number of risks involved with the process. Palm itself has issued a statement on the matter, discouraging its use and stating it will "likely result" in a voided warranty.
Interested users willing to brave the risks can find the full instructions and necessary files in this forum post.
Article Comments(24 comments)
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -richf
- RE: The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -richf
- RE: Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- Anyone else still on Palm...??!? -tl47
- RE: Picking up a Pre 3 -tl47
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -dagwud
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife