Sony Japan Unveils the Clie PEG-UX50
Sony Japan has taken the wraps of the new Clie, expected to be officially announced in San Francisco tomorrow. The Clie PEG-UX50 has a mini laptop like design with a swivel screen and built in keyboard. The device has a integrated in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth wireless as well as a digital camera.
The Clie PEG UX50 runs Palm OS 5.2 and uses a new processor system developed by Sony called the Handheld engine. The Handheld engine combines a Sony manufactured ARM926 based processor, a Digital Signal Processor (DSP), and a CXD2230GA graphics accelerator.
The screen is a swivel design that can be rotated and used in both the flip up and tablet mode. It is a 480x320 pixel, 65k color screen. The display is used in a horizontal landscape mode. It has 32mb of RAM, with 16mb available for use.
The devices has integrated Wi-Fi (802.11b) and Bluetooth for wireless communication. There is also a IR port, speaker, microphone, Stereo headphone jack and a memory stick pro slot. The digital camera is a 300k pixel camera and has 3x digital zoom.
The device measures 4 x 3.4 x .7 inches (103 x 86.5 x 17.9mm) and weighs 6.2 ounces (175 grams). The handheld body is made of magnesium. Sony rates the battery life at 14 days with 30 minutes of typical use per day. There will be a extended battery clip on accessory that will increase the battery life.
More details and an official US announcement are expected tomorrow (7/18) when Sony's handheld President, Masanobu Yoshida, holds a press conference in San Francisco. The UX50 will be available in Japan around August 9th, pricing and worldwide availability is not yet known.
Thanks to the many that sent in tips, and Paul Groves for help with translation.
Article Comments(229 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith