Samsung Announces Palm OS 5 Smartphone
CeBit 2003: Samsung has unveiled the MITs SGH-i500 Smartphone which runs Palm OS 5.2, has a high res screen, SDIO and a integrated CMOS camera. The SGH-i500 is similar to the SPH-i500 already announced, but operates on GSM/GPRS networks instead of CDMA, and packs in a number of feature upgrades.
The device runs PalmOS 5.2 on an 300mhz Intel PXA262 processor, with 32MB ROM / 32MB RAM. Unlike its CDMA cousin, the SGH-i500 lacks a dedicated Grafitti area. Palm OS 5.2 includes the Graffiti 2 input system.
The SGH-i500 has a Tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900) phone radio and uses a GPRS Class 8 (1 Tx, 4 Rx) chip. It comes with a rechargeable (1100mAh) battery which allows for 200 minute of talk time and 100 hours on standby. There will be an optional (1700mAh) extended battery.
The main inner display is a 65000 TFT color screen with 320 x 320 resolution (actual 324x352 pixel including the extra phone status area). The exterior (caller ID/Time) display is a 256 Color Organic EL (OLED) Sub-LCD.
It features a built in 330K pixel VGA (640 x 480) camera with an embedded flash. In addition there is a SD expansion slot that supports SD/IO and a standard Ir port. The SGH-i500 also has a speaker that supports Polyphonic ringtones and standard MIDI.
The Smartphone has dimensions of 3.5 x 2.3 x 1 inches (88 x 54 x 26 mm) and weighs 5.3 ounces (150g).
In addition to the standard Palm OS software, the i500 comes with a Palm media pack for audio and video playback, a WAP 2.0 browser, an MMS and email messaging client and adds support for J2ME applications. Samsung also states that it will come with various third party web browsers, but no specifics are given.
As of now, there is no word on pricing, availability or which carriers will sell the SGH-i500.
Many thanks to Rich from PhoneScoop for the tip.
Article Comments(168 comments)
This article is no longer accepting new comments.
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith