Where Is the Verizon Pre 2?
Despite HP/Palm's promise of full Verizon carrier support and subsidies during the Pre 2 launch in October, Verizon's Pre 2 now heads into calendar year 2011 having missed the entire 2010 holiday shopping season.
With both Verizon and Sprint having EOL'd their respective Pre variants, AT&T is the only domestic carrier currently offering some form of Palm Pre for sale. With the imminent one-year anniversary of the disappointing Pre Plus launch on Verizon approaching in a few weeks, the carrier could simply be waiting for the arrival of CES to quietly launch the device, especially if they will have little else of significance running WebOS 2.x at the show. Indeed, WebOSroundup are also tossing out the unconfirmed report that the Pre 2 will be hitting Verizon before the end of January, possibly even with WebOS 2.1 pre-loaded.
The device is definitely in existence and in the wild, as witnessed by a now-pulled eBay auction from two weeks ago. Touting model number P102EWW, the device was being sold for parts with an apparently bad ESN. The auction was swiftly shut down and the listing removed, but not before pictures and details made the rounds online.
Adding an additional bit of credibility to the VZW Pre 2 saga is the strange tale of an image posted to the Palm Facebook page by a Palm employee. This lovely sunset image was reportedly taken with a VZW Pre 2, as evidenced by two separate captions. Unfortunately, there is no way to verify this claim as the EXIF metadata information for photos taken by all Palm Pre variants (Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2) refer to the devices as simply a "Palm Pre".
Finally, WebOSRoundup are also reporting that Asurion is no longer replacing Verizon Pre Plus as they have no remaining refurbished stock of that device. Customers making a warranty claim for a Pre Plus are being offered a choice of the lower-spec "free" Pixi Plus or Verizon's flagship Android device, the $200 Motorola Droid X.
Article Comments(53 comments)
Click here for the full story discussion page...
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Tuckermaclain
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -hkklife
- The iPhone X reveals why Tim Cook was so mad about Palm -Gekko
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -Ryan
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -abosco
- RE: Was the Foleo ahead of its time? -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -wannitnow
- RE: Palm brand will return in 2018, with devices built by TCL -LiveFaith